Hi Everyone –
Warm greetings and blessings to you all!
May you be filled with lovingkindness.
May you be safe and protected from all inner and outer dangers.
May you be well in body and mind.
May you be at ease and happy.
(Sorry that I’m a little later than usual this month – there’s a LOT going on. I’ll get back on track by making this a “double” newsletter.)
October: After the fresh start of September, with new routines now well established, a time to notice and to give thanks for all that is unfolding. While I make it my practice to do this as often as I can, (Canadian) Thanksgiving Day is my favourite holiday and a special time for me to express my gratitude. (In 1992, I chose Thanksgiving Day as the day to leave Montreal and to begin my new life in Vancouver, knowing that I would then have one more reason to celebrate the day every year; and now, 17 years later, I have MANY more reasons to celebrate it.) I am truly grateful for everything that is unfolding in my life, and I’m excited about stepping ever more deeply into the fullness of who I am. Thank YOU for being a part of my journey. 🙂
With this in mind, I offer you this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DhHXoIC0iU – an invitation for us all to step more deeply into appreciation for ourselves and for all that is. May it inspire you as deeply as it inspires me. (If YOU have suggestions for inspirational media to include in a future newsletter, please drop me a line at email@example.com.)
Here are my highlights from the last month or so:
– Performing at THREE new churches – Unity of Nanaimo, CSL Kelowna, and Unity of Victoria – and being very warmly received at each of them. My heartfelt THANKS to the ministers, music directors, musicians, sound technicians and congregations at each of these communities – it’s an honour and a pleasure to serve you and to be building relationships with you. 🙂
– Performing Kirtan at Canadian Memorial Church in Vancouver with Sandra Dawn and Shawn Soucy. THANKS to Rev. Bruce Sanguin and Music Minister Neil Weisensel for supporting us in this work, and SPECIAL THANKS to Rev. MK Sophia Ducey for always going above and beyond the call of duty. 🙂
– Performing at Jerry DesVoignes’ “All You Need Is Beatles” CD Release Party with Jerry and Elio Rota. THANKS, guys; it gives me great joy to sing and play these songs with such love. Let’s do a LOT more of this!
– Performing at the Seva Canada “Eye Opener” Benefit with Jane Mortifee and the R&B Express. THANKS, Jane, for providing all involved with such a delicious way to serve AND boogie!
– Backing up Rachael Chatoor with The Hitmen at The River Rock Casino. THANKS, Rachael, for singing with so much love, joy, and appreciation – you truly do bring out the best in us. 🙂
– As I continue to “plant seeds” and make new friends everywhere I go, I’m getting more and more invitations to travel. In the next month or so, I’ll be in Kamloops, Nanaimo, Ojai and Edmonton. More trips to come! (Details below.)
– On the home front: Please join Sandra Dawn, Shawn Soucy and I for our Kirtan nights at Canadian Memorial Church (Oct. 25 and Nov. 29, details below); Unity of Vancouver is hosting another Coffee House, and I’m ALWAYS in for that night of fun (Oct. 27, details below); and I’m performing in a ROCKIN’ fundraiser for The Spiritual Centre for Dynamic Living (Oct. 29, details below).
– SPECIAL EVENT: It gives me great pleasure to announce that I’ll be performing at my dear friend Zoey Wren’s “Make Me A River” CD Release Party on Nov. 22 (details below). PLEASE come and support this open-hearted artist and her music; I was involved in the recording of this CD, and I guarantee that the live performance of it will make for a VERY special night.
Here’s what my CALENDAR looks like in the next month or so. I’d be honoured to see you at any of these events. (AND please remember that I welcome any and all opportunities to serve you with my music; just e-mail me with your ideas at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
23 & 24, 9:30 PM – Lions Den Sports Bar, Boulevard Casino (2080 United Boulevard, Coquitlam) – with The Hitmen
25, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living Kamloops (Desert Gardens Community Centre, 540 Seymour Street, Kamloops) – Church Service
25, 7:00-9:00 PM – Canadian Memorial United Church (corner of West 15th Avenue and Burrard Street, Vancouver) – Kirtan (Chanting) with Sandra Dawn and Shawn Soucy – $15/by donation.
27, 7:30 – Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak St., Vancouver) – Unity Coffee House, featuring myself, Beverley Elliott, Michael Vincent and Ron Irving. By donation.
29, 7:30 PM Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak Street, Vancouver) – “Sentimental Journey: A Musical Revue of the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s” (Fundraiser for the Spiritual Centre for Dynamic Living). Produced and directed by Barb Brolly, featuring the SCDL Dynamic Ensemble with guest performers Perry Dickison, Robyn McCorquodale and yours truly. $20 adults, $15 seniors (65+). (Dessert reception to follow.)
1, 10:30 AM – Unity Church of Nanaimo (1951 Estevan Road, Nanaimo) – Church Service. (Guest speaker: Aman Motwane, author of “Yes, You Can Change the World”.)
2-19 – On tour in California with The Euphorics (www.euphorics.com)
8, 10:30 AM – Symphony of Life Spiritual Center (441 East Ojai Avenue, Ojai) – Church Service
22, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (14600 North Bluff Road, Centennial Park, White Rock) – Church Service
22, 7:00 PM (Doors open at 6:30) – St. Mark’s Anglican Church (1805 Larch Street, Vancouver) – CD Release Party for Zoey Wren’s “Make Me A River” – $15.
27, 7:00-9:00 PM – St. Paul’s Anglican Church (1130 Jervis Street, Vancouver) – Kirtan (Chanting), as people walk the Labyrinth
29, 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living Edmonton (7621 – 101 Avenue, Edmonton) – Church Services
29, 7:00-9:00 PM – Canadian Memorial United Church (corner of West 15th Avenue and Burrard Street, Vancouver) – Kirtan (Chanting) with Sandra Dawn and Shawn Soucy – $15/by donation.
NEW WEB SITE CONTENT
As well as updating the blogs and calendars on my web sites, I’ve:
– updated my “Bio/Press/Praise” page by putting the newest press and praise comments at the top, and by adding some new comments about my House Concerts (THANKS, Roz!), my church performances (THANKS, Barb Samuel and Bev Wright!), and my Kirtan performances (THANKS, Jerry!).
– added photos from my recording sessions with Zoey Wren, and from my performances with Jane Mortifee, Jerry DesVoignes, Sandra Dawn and Shawn Soucy, and at CSL Kelowna, to the “Photos” page on my web site and to my MySpace page. (As you can see, I’m getting better at remembering to take pictures AND at asking others to take some too!)
Happy October and November, everyone. Go with love!
With love and gratitude,
P.S.: For me, the shorter days of November are an ideal time to deepen inner stillness. I hope to give birth to some new songs in that stillness; please keep me in your thoughts and prayers.