Hi Everyone –
Warm greetings and blessings to you all!
May you be filled with lovingkindness.
May you be safe and protected from all inner and outer dangers.
May you be well in body and mind.
May you be at ease and happy.
In my desire to move more fully into my identity as a performing singer/songwriter, I’ve been making room in my life by embracing SIMPLICITY and SPACE. My beloved Sheila and I have been de-cluttering our home from top to bottom, and the changes that the process is manifesting in the rest of our lives, collectively and individually, is nothing short of astounding… I’m excited and scared about what the simplicity and space is uncovering (my creativity and my fear), AND grateful that this life choice is enlarging me, not diminishing me (see last month’s Blog / Newsletter). AMEN, AND FULL SPEED AHEAD! 🙂
With this in mind, I offer you a quote and a video. First, the quote (from the Dalai Lama): “If one’s life is simple, contentment has to come. Simplicity is extremely important for happiness. Having few desires, feeling satisfied with what you have, is very vital: satisfaction with just enough food, clothing, and shelter to protect yourself from the elements. And finally, there is an intense delight in abandoning faulty states of mind and in cultivating helpful ones in meditation.”… Second, the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOhf3OvRXKg – an insight into the healing power of a single artist with a simple gift.
May both this quote and this video inspire you as deeply as they inspire me. (If YOU have suggestions for inspirational media to share in a future newsletter, please drop me a line at NathenAswell@Me.com – I’d love to hear from you.)
Here are my highlights from the last month or so:
– Performing with Sandra Leigh and friends in one of her weekly “Give Peace A Chant” events. THANKS, dear Sandra; it’s SUCH a blessing to make music with someone who is so devoted to their path, and I’m delighted that I’ll now be making music with you and the rest of the gang on a regular basis. 🙂
– Performing with Darryl Nixon, David Sinclair and Shawn Soucy at St. Andrew’s-Wesley church. THANKS, mates, for the opportunity to rock out on a Sunday morning!
– Performing at the Labyrinth at St. Paul’s Anglican Church. What joy it gives me to fill that space with sound! THANKS to all of the volunteers, and to all of the Labyrinth walkers. 🙂
– Performing a House Concert in the home of my dear friend Andrew Scott. THANKS, Andrew, for the honour and pleasure of doing “my thing” in your space, for the great “hang” with you and Brenda, and for the walk on the beach at midnight. 🙂
– Being a part of the excitement of the Vancouver Olympics by performing on several stages around town (with The Hitmen and with The Euphorics) during the Games. I’m SO proud of my city and of my country!
– As I continue to “plant seeds” and build connections and friendships everywhere I go, I’m getting more and more invitations to travel. My next stops are return trips to Kelowna (for a Church Service AND an afternoon Concert) and Kemptville (for a House Concert). (Details below.)
– On the home front: Universal Kirtan with Amir, Give Peace a Chant with Sandra Leigh, and Unity of Vancouver with the fabulous Perry Dickison! (Details below.)
– SPECIAL EVENT: It gives me great pleasure to announce that I’ll be performing at a fundraiser in Montreal for Camp Kinkora, the place where many of my life-long friendships (as well as my musical career) began. I’m happy and honoured to have an opportunity to give back to a place and a community that has given me SO much. (Details below.)
Here’s what my entire CALENDAR looks like in the next month or so. I’d be honoured to see you at any of these events. (AND please remember that I welcome any and all opportunities to serve you with my music; just e-mail me with your ideas at NathenAswell@Me.com.)
6, 8:00 PM – Yoga on 7th (156 East 7th Avenue, Vancouver) – Universal Kirtan (Chanting) with Amir
7, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living Kelowna (1375 Water Street, Kelowna) – Church Service
7, 1:30 PM (doors open at 1:00) – Concert at the Peace Centre (2490 Pandosy Street, Kelowna) – $15. (Space is limited, so please RSVP with Barbara Samuel at Info@BarbSamuel.com ASAP to reserve a spot.)
12, 7:45 PM (doors open at 7:30) – Open Door Yoga Studio (2111 West 16th Avenue, Vancouver) – Give Peace a Chant, with Sandra Leigh, Meshe Dummond and Shawn Soucy – $15 / $10 for seniors and students with card
14, 11:00 AM – Spiritual Centre for Dynamic Living (NEW ADDRESS: 1495 West 8th Avenue, 4th Floor, Vancouver) – Church Service
20, 7:00 PM – Eric Maclean Centre for the Performing Arts, Loyola High School (2477 West Broadway, West Broadway Entrance, Montreal) – Fundraiser for Camp Kinkora, featuring Shane Murphy, me, Kinkora youth choir, and Kinkora camp band – $5 / 5 for $20 / $10 at the door; email@example.com.
22, 7:00 PM (doors open at 6:30 PM) – House Concert in Kemptville, ON – $15 / $10 for children under 18. (Space is limited, so please RSVP with Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP to reserve a spot and to get details on the concert’s location.)
26 & 27, 9:30 PM – Lulu’s Lounge, River Rock Casino (8811 River Road, Richmond) – with The Hitmen
28, 11:00 AM – Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak Street, Vancouver) – Church Service, with Perry Dickison
4, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (14600 North Bluff Road, Centennial Park, White Rock) – Church Service
NEW WEB SITE CONTENT
As well as updating the blogs and calendars on my web sites, I’ve:
– added a new comment to my “Bio/Praise/Press” page (THANKS, dear Brenda!);
– added photos from my House Concert in Nanaimo, and a couple more from my trip to Orlando (with my pals Marcy Baruch and Glen Roethel) to the “Photos” page on my web site and to my MySpace page.
Happy March, everyone. Go with love!
With love and gratitude,