Hi Everyone –
Warm greetings and blessings to you all!
May you be filled with lovingkindness.
May you be safe and protected from all inner and outer dangers.
May you be well in body and mind.
May you be at ease and happy.
As I hold the intention to create more SIMPLICITY and SPACE in my life, new thoughts and new experiences are flowing into it. In April, I talked about EASE and GRACE; in May, I talked about FOCUS; in June, I talked about RISK-TAKING; in July/August, I talked about ASKING FOR HELP. In September, I talked about SURRENDER. In October, I talked about FULL ACCOUNTABILITY. This month, it’s about SILENCE.
Being the Virgo that I am, my mind is constantly filled with niggly little details about all kinds of things (!)… AND, something very interesting is slowly beginning to happen: in the midst of all those thoughts about niggly little details, little bits of silence are emerging… I’ve simplified my life, I’ve started meditating again, I’ve been studying “A Course In Miracles” – and EVER so slowly, my “course correction” is manifesting itself… My intention is to settle more and more deeply into the silence, so that I may truly know how best to serve, and truly hear the inner music… AMEN.
With this in mind, I offer you this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFF_0cDHqYY and these quotes as routes into YOUR exploration of SILENCE:
“We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature – trees, flowers, grass – grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence… We need silence to be able to touch souls.”
– Mother Teresa
“Do not speak unless you can improve the silence.”
“Silence is a source of great strength.”
– Lao Tzu
“Music and silence combine strongly because music is done with silence, and silence is full of music.”
– Marcel Marceau
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
“In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness.”
– Mahatma Gandi
May this video and these quotes inspire you as deeply as they inspire me. (THANKS to my good friend and fellow artist Michael Stillwater, and to ThinkExist.com, for inspiring me to deepen MY exploration of SILENCE. If YOU have any suggestions for inspirational media that you’d like me to share in a future newsletter, or any thoughts or feelings that you’d like to share with me, please drop me a line at NathenAswell@Me.com – I’d love to hear from you.)
Here are my highlights from the last month or so:
– Performing at CSL ROSEBURG (Roseburg, OR). I’m falling in love with Oregon – it’s full of ANGELS! THANKS to Rev. Andy and his community for the opportunity to serve, to Dave Kennedy for his brilliant sax playing, and to Peggy & Chuck Brummel for opening their home and hearts to Sheila and I. 🙂
– Performing at FAR-West (Redwood City and Santa Clara, CA). How important it is for artists to come together, share stories, make music together and be seen and heard by people who want to support them – and how well this conference manifested ALL of that! THANKS to my fellow artists, the presenters and the organizers for a truly spectacular weekend, to Gary Zimmerman at B Street Music in San Mateo for the powered speaker, to Paulette Munroe for opening her home to me, and to Sue Monroe for taking me to Crystal Springs for a run. SPECIAL THANKS to my buddy Michael Morales, for his big and open heart. (I love you, brother!)
– Recording and mixing with Soul Co-Op (El Dorado, CA), and performing with Soul Co-Op at Spiritual Center for Positive Living (Cameron Park, CA). THANKS, dear Pattie, Marcy and Rita; I cherish each of you, and I’m looking forward to sharing our recordings with the world. 🙂
– Performing at the “Friends In Harmony” Benefit concert for the Spiritual Centre for Dynamic Living (Vancouver, BC). What an honour and a pleasure it was to support this loving community, and to share the stage with such fantastic artists – THANKS to all of you. SPECIAL THANKS to Robyn McCorquodale, who did a brilliant job of pulling it all together. (You’re the BEST, Robyn!)
– I’m very happy to report that I’ll be PERFORMING IN ORLANDO IN JANUARY at a CONCERT WITH JOY KATZEN-GUTHRIE and as part of the 6TH ANNUAL POSI AWARDS. More details about these and other east coast events will be in upcoming newsletters.
– It gives me great pleasure to announce that I’ll be PERFORMING AT CSL CAMPBELL RIVER (for a Sunday service AND a solo concert), and IN SEOUL, KOREA with THE EUPHORICS. (Details for these events are below.)
– On the HOME FRONT, I’ll be performing at THE 10TH ANNUAL WORLD KINDNESS CONCERT and at CHRISTMAS IN THE ROUND. (Details for both events are below.)
Here’s what my entire CALENDAR looks like in the next month or so. I’d be honoured to see you at any of these events. (AND please remember that I welcome any and all opportunities to serve you with my music; just e-mail me with your ideas at NathenAswell@Me.com.)
14 & 15, 7:30 PM (Doors open at 6:30 PM, music begins at 7:00 PM, concert begins at 7:30 PM) – Vancouver East Cultural Centre (1895 Venebles Street, Vancouver BC) – 10th Annual “World Kindness Concert”. Tickets: $35 (plus tax), 4 for $100 (plus tax), or 10 for $300 (plus tax). http://www.worldkindnessconcert.com/
21, 11:00 AM – Spiritual Centre for Dynamic Living (1495 West 8th Avenue, 4th Floor, Vancouver BC) – Church Service
21, 7:00 PM – St. Andrew’s-Wesley (1012 Nelson Avenue, Vancouver BC) – Worship Service with Curt Allison
28, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living Campbell River (401 11th Avenue, Campbell River BC) – Church Service
28, 1:00 PM – Centre for Spiritual Living Campbell River – Solo concert – $10/love offering
4, 8:00 PM – Yoga on 7th (156 East 7th Avenue, Vancouver BC) – Universal Kirtan (Chanting) with Amir – By donation
5, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (14600 North Bluff Road, Centennial Park, White Rock BC) – Church Service
7-15 – Seoul, Korea – Concerts with The Euphorics (a cappella quartet)
18, 7:30 PM – St. Mark’s Anglican / Trinity United Church (1805 Larch Street @ West 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC) – “Christmas In The Round” Winter Solstice Celebration with Jerry DesVoignes, Elio Rota, Sandra Dawn, Shawn Soucy and I. Advance tickets $30, seniors $25; $35 at the door. (Tickets available at Banyen Books & Sound, HiLife Records, and Utopia Books & Gifts; for more info, visit www.healingvoices.net)
19, 10:00 AM – Tsawwassen United Church (693 53rd Street, Delta BC) – Church Service with Sandra Dawn Nash
19, 4:00 PM – St. Stephen’s Anglican Church (885 22nd Street, West Vancouver BC) – Jazz Vespers with The Euphorics (a cappella quartet)
20, 4:00 & 7:00 PM – Italian Cultural Centre (3075 Slocan Street, Vancouver BC) – Performances with The Euphorics (a cappella quartet)
22, 7:30 PM – Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak Street, Vancouver BC) – Christmas Candlelighting Service
24, 7:00 PM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (14600 North Bluff Road, Centennial Park, White Rock BC) – Christmas Eve Church Service, with me, Diane Lines, and Acoustic Groove
NEW WEB SITE CONTENT
As well as updating my “Calendar” and “Blog” pages, I’ve:
– updated my mission statement on my “Home” page.
– updated my bio on my “Bio” page.
– added 3 downloadable files (my Bio, my Photo, and my Techical Rider) to my “Services” page.
– added photos from the “Friends In Harmony” concert, my week in El Dorado (with Soul Co-Op), FAR-West and CSL Roseburg to my “Photos” page.
– I’ve added new comments (THANKS, dear Jeannie and Ish!) to my “Praise” page.
Happy November, everyone. Go with love!
With love and gratitude,