Hi Everyone –
Warm greetings and blessings to you all!
May you be filled with lovingkindness.
May you be safe and protected from all inner and outer dangers.
May you be well in body and mind.
May you be at ease and happy.
After 45 years, my mother-in-law Trudi recently sold the family home. The day before the new owners took possession of it, my wife Sheila and I said goodbye to it: we spent time in every room of it, sharing our memories, and then ended the ritual by thanking the entire space for the role that it has played in our lives, and by acknowledging that our memories of it will keep it alive in our hearts. It got both Sheila and I thinking about home: what it means to us – a state of being, as well as a physical space – and how we can enrich our sense of home in our new physical home, as well as in ourselves and in each other…
This has been, and continues to be, a very rich exploration for me. Here is some of what’s bubbling up to the surface:
– Home is where the heart is. My home is where Sheila is.
– I’m not a multi-tasker; I’m at home – most myself – when I can be slow and thorough about things.
– All of my physical stuff is – MUST be – an outward expression of my heart/home energy. (If it isn’t, it doesn’t serve me.)
– I’ve moved a LOT in my life; our present home is the 20th (!) place I’ve lived in… and the first home I’ve owned. Could it be that I’ve finally found a place to land, to stop and rest, to ground and nourish myself, so that I can better life a life of loving service?
– A heightened awareness of my heart/home energy will serve me well when I travel; it will allow me to more fully be “at home” wherever I physically am.
Grateful am I for this travel-free – ORDINARY (!) – period of time, so that I could notice all of this. 🙂
How about you? What does HOME mean for you? I’d truly like to know, so please e-mail me at NathenAswell@me.com and share it with me – we’re ALL in this together, and we have much to learn from each other. 🙂
Here are my highlights from the last month or so:
1) Having my song “Be Still” available as a free download from emPOWER Music and Arts (www.empowerma.com) on Nov. 19th, as part of Positive Music Month. With many other like-hearted artists standing shoulder to shoulder with me, I’m proud to be helping change the world through music. 🙂
– With my buddy, singer/songwriter/guitarist Russell Marsland at CSL White Rock. When I hear great music making, I laugh out loud with joy, and when I play with Russell, I laugh a LOT. THANKS, dear Russell, for being such a treasure. XO
– With Chris Segerson at Unity of Vancouver. Chris is a MASTER pianist, and a humble soul; when I grow up, I want to be just like him! THANKS, dear Chris, for always inspiring me. 🙂
– With Tom & Georgina Arntzen, Joani Bye and Shawn Soucy. Every year, the five of us perform at a fundraiser for SHARE (http://www.sharesociety.ca/), and every year, the joy amongst us – and emanating from us – grows. THANKS, dear friends, for the gift of your friendship and for the power of our shared music making. XO
– With Joani Bye and her sister Janet. When the three of us sing Christmas music together, it’s pure magic. THANKS, dear sisters, for connecting me to the joy of this season. XO
– For the residents at Mountain View Manor here in my new home town of Ladner. Thanks to Kate Donaldson for the opportunity to serve my community; I’m looking forward to returning on Christmas Day, with several friends in tow! 🙂
– Vocals for Dave Pickell on his song “There Is Love”. Dave is a master songwriter and producer, and as picky as I am (!) – AND, when we channel all of our attention to detail into creativity, the end result is VERY powerful indeed. THANKS for opening your heart to me, dear Dave; I’m very pleased to be getting to know you, and I hope to “dance” with you often!
– Bass for Dave Steele on his song “Kind To Be Kind”. Dave is a fantastic singer and songwriter, an absolute fireball of creativity, and one of the sweetest guys I know. THANKS, dear Dave, for including me in your process – I want MORE play time with you! 🙂
4) Continuing to co-write with Sue Riley (FL) and Glen Roethel (NY), and with Jennifer Ferren (GA). THANKS, dear friends – creating together sure is FUN! YAY and AMEN for Skype! 🙂
– I’m very excited about the road trips that I’m planning for 2012. So far, my itinerary looks like this:
January – Concert and Church Services in Atlanta; Posi Music Festival and Church Services in Orlando; House Concert in Snohomish, and Church Services in Seattle. (Details are below.)
February – Portland
March – Montreal
April – Phoenix
May – Kelowna
June – Seattle
September – Eugene and Kansas City
More details in coming newsletters!
– I’ve AGAIN had the pleasure of being interviewed (!) – this time by Petey Silveira, producer and host of “New Pathway To Healing” (BlogTalkRadio). An mp3 of the interview is on the “Audio/Video” page of my web site, https://www.nathenaswell.com/page3/page3.html
– On the HOME FRONT – MANY things! (How fitting!) Christmas In The Round with Jerry DesVoignes, Oppenheimer Park fundraiser for the homeless, Unity Candlelighting Service, CSL White Rock Christmas Eve Service, New Year’s Eve Kirtan with Amir, New Year’s Day at St. Paul’s Labyrinth, monthly Satsangs with Rev. Terry Shea (beginning in January), and concerts in January and February. (Details are below.)
Here’s what my ENTIRE CALENDAR looks like in the next two months or so. I’d be honoured to see you at any of these events. (AND please remember that I welcome any and all opportunities to serve you with my music; just e-mail me with your ideas at NathenAswell@me.com.)
16, 8:00 PM – St. Mark’s Anglican / Trinity United Church (1805 Larch Street @ West 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC) – “Christmas In The Round” Winter Solstice Celebration with Jerry DesVoignes, Elio Rota, Sandra Dawn, Shawn Soucy and I. Advance tickets $30, seniors $25; $35 at the door. (Tickets available at Banyen Books & Sound, HiLife Records, and Utopia Books & Gifts; for more info, visit www.healingvoices.net) (EXTRA: This year, we are supporting three local causes: The Vancouver Food Bank, with non-perishable goods; “Feed The Streets”, a “travelling soup kitchen” organized by Kelly Foston, with cash or cheques; and The Lower Mainland Christmas Bureau, with toys for tots and teens – stuffed animals suggested. Donation boxes will be in the lobby. Thank you for your generosity!)
17, 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM – Oppenheimer Christmas Dinner (Oppenheimer Park, Vancouver BC). I’m one of many musicians performing for this worthy cause; my “slot” is 11:45 AM to 12:00 PM. For more information, and to make a donation, please visit http://www.oppenheimerdinner.ca/
18, 11:00 AM – Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak Street, Vancouver BC) – Church Service (http://unityofvancouver.org)
21, 7:30 PM – Unity of Vancouver (5840 Oak Street, Vancouver BC) – Christmas Candlelighting Service (http://unityofvancouver.org)
24, 7:00 PM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (Semiahmoo House, 15306 24th Avenue, South Surrey BC) – Christmas Eve Church Service, with me, Diane Lines, Russell Marsland and Tony Chamberlist (www.csl-whiterock.com)
31, 8:00 PM – Quaker Hall (1090 West 70th Avenue, just west of Oak Street) – New Year’s Eve Kirtan (Chanting) with Amir – By donation. (8:20 – Dances of Universal Peace; 9:00 – refreshments; 10:30 until just after midnight – Kirtan)
1, 12:00-2:00 PM – St. Paul’s Anglican Church (1130 Jervis Street, Vancouver) – Kirtan (Chanting), as people walk the Labyrinth (http://stpaulsanglican.bc.ca/worship/the-labyrinth-what-is-it)
6, 7:30 PM – One World Spiritual Center (3535 Shallowford Road NE, Marietta GA) – Concert with Jennifer Ferren – $10 at the door
8, 10:00 and 11:30 AM – Spiritual Living Center of Atlanta (Richard Rich Auditorium, Woodruff Arts Center, 1280 Peachtree Street, Atlanta GA) – Church Services (http://www.slc-atlanta.org/)
13-16 – Orlando Airport Marriott (7499 Augusta National Drive, Orlando FL) – emPOWER Posi Music Festival (http://www.empowerma.com/). (I’ll be performing in the late night “Pajama Jam” music showcases, and co-leading the LATE night jams with my dear friend Glen Roethel.)
15, 9:30 and 11:30 AM – First Unity of St. Petersburg (460 46th Avenue North, St. Petersburg FL) – Church Services (http://www.firstunity.org/)
21, 7:00 PM – House Concert in Snohomish, WA with fellow artist Larry Murante (http://larrymurante.com/). Reservations required; please contact Mike Morales at email@example.com / (206) 510-7182.
22, 9:00 and 11:00 AM – Seattle Unity Church (200 Eighth Avenue North, Seattle WA) – Church Services (http://seattleunity.org/)
25, 7:00 PM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (Semiahmoo House, 15306 24th Avenue, South Surrey BC) – Sangha. Details TBA (www.csl-whiterock.com)
28, 7:00 PM (Doors open at 6:30) – House Concert in South Surrey, BC – $15. (Space is limited, so please contact Shirley Henderson ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot and to get details on the concert’s location.)
29, 10:30 AM – Centre for Spiritual Living White Rock (Semiahmoo House, 15306 24th Avenue, South Surrey BC) – Church Service (www.csl-whiterock.com)
8, 1:45 PM – Brock House Society (3875 Point Grey Road, Vancouver BC) – Concert – $6 (Members only). To become a member, and to get more information, please visit
NEW WEB SITE CONTENT
As well as updating my “Calendar” and “Blog” pages (https://www.nathenaswell.com/page7/page7.html and https://www.nathenaswell.com/page8/page8.html), I’ve:
– added an mp3 of my latest radio interview with Petey Silveira (BlogTalkRadio) to my “Audio/Video” page (https://www.nathenaswell.com/page3/page3.html);
– added a better photo of Glen Roethel & I at the Peace Chapel (Unity of Clearwater, FL) to my “Photos” page (https://www.nathenaswell.com/page9/page9.html);
– added new comments (THANKS, dear Petey, Toresa, Rachelle, Carol, Doris, Daniel, Margot, Toresa, CK, Kirsten, Charonne, Darlene, Steve, Jan, Sandra, Kirsten, Helen, Jason, Rita & Thomas, Carol, Dorothy, Greg, Christine, Lisa, Ben, Ellen, Bobbi, Nancy, Mona, and Dale – I greatly appreciate EVERY word!) to my “Feedback” page (https://www.nathenaswell.com/page10/page10.html);
– added a link to Petey Silveira’s web page to my “Links” page (https://www.nathenaswell.com/page11/page11.html)
(Here it is too: http://www.newpathwaytohealing.com/)
Happy December and January, everyone. Celebrate whatever HOME means for you, and go with LOVE!
With love and gratitude,
www.Facebook.com/Nathen.Aswell (I’d be honoured to have you as a Facebook friend)